By Evan Vitale
If you own and operate a small business, the one goal you always have in mind is seeing your business grow. You know you need to add more customers and clients; increase sales and keep your expense levels down.
Here’s what you probably have already figured out:
- “Open” for business doesn’t mean customers are waiting for you to unlock the door every morning.
- The phone is ringing off the wall.
- Your e-mail Inbox isn’t overflowing with sales orders and offers.
There’s not a magic pill to swallow or a formula that you can follow that will simply just work. Therefore, here are some low-cost steps you can take to help increase market awareness and help you attract more customers and clients:
- Be the expert in your field (at least, be the “go to” person on a local level). Start by creating a blog and writing fresh content for it on a regular basis. Write about your industry; how you solved a problem and how potential customers and clients can follow “do-it-yourself” techniques.
- Attend and participate in regular networking events such as your local Chamber of Commerce; BNI (Business Networking International), etc. This will help you earn more exposure for your company and its services.
- Write and submit press releases on what’s going on with your business and in your industry. They may not get published, but you’ll gain some local attention from media.
- Also give strong consideration to creating a regular podcast and developing videos for YouTube and other online media networking opportunities.
- Develop and/or improve your current marketing techniques.
- Consider talking to and/or hiring a business coach or mentor to help you grow your business.
Overall, you need to be work smart with your business and on your business.